Thursday 1 September 2011

Thing #15.1 - social media facebook

I knew it would happen I'm now addicted to Facebook. I was the last person on earth to join as I suspected that I would be on there permanently.
my facebook friend Ovi says
"it's not more addictive than e-mail, I promise
you just have to keep it in line
and it helps when you've got too much spare time and your eyes are crying from too much reading books and doing important stuff
as in you can watch pictures and see what some long lost friend has been up to in the last 5 years"
I set up my account with the intention of just creating a professional  site - But the first thing I did was find a friend and from then onwards the ball started rolling. I'm now friends with all of the estates staff at Harrow and it keeps growing. Very frustratrating though is my sister-in-law who has blocked her site so I can't even request to be her friend . I can see the addiction when people ask to be your friend. It's just too easy... I've even been chatting with a friend online and switching to another friend - could we use this facility to support students perhaps? "Join me on facebook and I can help you" (professional persona I think).
I liked the Westminster site which seems quite active at the moment because of clearing - I even answered a question that had been posted there. There does seem to be an official site and an unofficial one. (guess which has the most users?!)
Just having a chat with an ex-student who says that everyone is moving to google+ - so I think we should look at that as a possibility.
I wonder if it would be problematic having a facebook account for the library as we are four sites?  I think several people would have to be on it (facebook rota?!) - however I wonder if it might work better than ask a librarian? as you are tapping into an instant pool - it seems to be an environment that the students are in and now it's much more common for businesses and institutions to have a facebook page it's less of an "us" and "them" situation - but perhaps this is the reason that people keep moving to the next thing (e.g. google +) ?

No comments:

Post a Comment